Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Homecoming

Today was my first day in my Core II practicum.  I had been anticipating this day for not only the last couple of weeks and months, but for years.  Today was the day I would go back to my elementary school to work with my favorite teacher I ever had.  We have quite a history as her son and I are best friends and we have spent nearly every summer together since I was 9.  I had started my 4th grade school year at a different school and had a terrible experience.  Midway through the year I started commuting twenty minutes with my dad to go to Imbler Elementary School.  Imbler is one of the smallest towns in Eastern Oregon, but by far my favorite.  Although a new school has been built since I attended, the staff is still much the same.
I began today much like I did for the 8 years that I went there.  I woke up around six o'clock in order to meet my dad to hitch a ride out.  He teaches at the high school there so I wouldn't have to drive my pickup and use up my gas ( we all know how that turned out last time I had to go to class).  The twenty minute ride out was much like it was back then.  Listen to maybe twenty seconds of a song and he'd change it, then turn the volume off and sit there in silence; much like an athlete would preparing for a contest.  I arrived and entered the new elementary.  Although it's maybe half the size of the school before, it still holds the 100 or so students that attend comfortably.  I walked in and had a great feeling about where I was and my purpose for being there.  Students began to enter the class and of course were curious as to who I was, just as much as I was trying to guess who they were related to that I may know!  They welcomed me and were eager to learn about me and once they found out I was had their same teacher, went to the same school, and was best friends with her son we had an immediate friendship.  The rest of the day I helped them with work as they prepared for state testing.  The funniest part was when I was moving about the room and took a seat next to a boy who had missed part of the morning.  This was during a review for science when he kept glancing at me.  Finally he whispered to me "Hey."  "Yes," I replied.  He followed "I'm part German," and smiled.  I couldn't help but laugh and knew I was in the right place!

4 comments:

  1. Toby, what fun to go home to a school and teacher you loved! My first teaching job was a return to the community where I grew up with teachers who had taught me (but in a new school). I love the way you shared this day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm remembering my excitement at starting my teaching career. I wanted to student teach in my home school. The college wouldn't let me. They should have. But I stuck with it and what a great 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what Toby. I'm German too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a blast and its only been two days of my practicum. Thank you for your positive feedback! Kara I'm not German, but I am Greek and Filipino :)

    ReplyDelete